08:30 a.m. Contemporary Service
09:45 a.m. Traditional Service
11:00 a.m. Contemporary Service
THE MISSION OF FIRST CHRISTIAN CHURCH HARLINGEN, TX
The Mission of First Christian Church is to introduce people to Christ and to provide a dynamic place for them to learn to follow Him. Whether you are an inquiring mind or a Christian for many years, at First Christian Church you will find a great opportunity to learn about Jesus and His Church. We also encourage service and provide opportunities for you to serve the Lord.
HISTORY OF FIRST CHRISTIAN CHURCH
This story had its beginning almost as early as the city of Harlingen. In 1912, a small group of people began searching out those who were members of the Christian Church. They reported on November 18, 1912 that they had found fifteen families living in Harlingen. They first started with meetings held under a brush arbor in this small community then known as "Six Shooter Junction." They also found that there was a Christian minister who had just moved here from Missouri who was willing to give his services free. February 9, 1913 they met in the auditorium of the public school building and organized the First Christian Church that had thirty-one members with elders, deacons, secretary and treasurer. The leader was the principal of the high school. The first church building was located on the corner of 4th and Jackson St. It had belonged to the Seventh Day Adventist Church and was purchased for $400. As the congregation began to grow, a building committee was appointed on September 5, 1926. A new church was then built in the heart of the city, on the corner of 3rd and Van Buren St., across the street from the post office. The building is now a small post office and a bank. Membership and attendance continued to grow and in 1957 First Christian Church reported 400 members, averaging 250 for Sunday School. Again, plans were made for a larger church and more parking space. In 1957, the Education Building was built at 421 South 13th St. In 1958 the now existing church was dedicated. With still another vision for the future, plans were made for a Youth Center. We broke ground March 16, 1969 and the building was started immediately. First Christian Church is currently experiencing increases in attendance again and we praise the Lord for His blessings. More land east of the Church building on Tyler St. was purchased and it has been turned into a nice paved parking lot. Already the new parking lot is filling up each Sunday. During the week of January 25 - 27, 2013 we celebrated the 100 year birthday for First Christian Church. It was a wonderful weekend looking back at our history and forward to see how God will continue to work through us as we shine for Him. Over the years many people have come and gone, but each has left a footprint whether large or small. We thank God for each of these pastors, leaders, and members that prayed, shared their time, talents and treasures.